November 10, 2011

Voices on the Great Ocean Road

Just what would cause you to look way over there?
Everything you need to see is right here.
Birds you say, geez man they are just birds.
The colours are splendid I am sure,
But they are also here in and with me.
Stay with me lad.
What shiny thing has your attention now?
A girl!
My God why?
They are nothing but trouble and
Compared to me there can be no better rapture.
Oh now what,
Scenery.
I have that in spades and in every imaginable shape and size.
And you have your back to me,
Staring up walls,
Straining your back to look at trees and flowers.
Oh my God!
Where are you off too?
Chasing butterflies.
Oh grow up!
I don't care how colorful,
And how beautiful they are.
Anything they can do I can do better.
You mate must pay attention to me.
For that is what this road is for.
To celebrate me.
Me, it is all about me,
This great narcissistic pool.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Funny how the ocean screams "look at me!!!" Those crashing waves seem to repeat that command. We can miss much, staring at the ocean. And depending upon the reader, that great narcissistic pool can easily become the great narcissist's pool.