February 09, 2013

Once Upon a Ridge


Wind is blowing in from the north
I watch in awe from this high ridge
Perched on an edge
To my right water for the Pacific
To my left for the Gulf
Clouds rolled slowly toward me
Roiling greasy blackness
Supplanting the last of the summer sun
The trees went still and the birds quiet
All was still as the fog settled
And then the lightening
No sound just flashes
I sat in silent terror
I sat in wondrous awe
The charged air building to crescendo
To release the winter snows
Falling hard and softly
Spreading the warm deep downy blanket
Just but a few minutes
The clouds moved on
Leaving me without trail
A white cotton with life renewing
Marmots and squirrels
Chickadee and nuthatch
All break from the snow
To play in the sun
A new season has arrived
A descent alone and peaceful
Down from the white glare
Through the fog and mist
Into the depth snow
And soon for home
Blessed

No comments: