April 29, 2013

Self Reflection with Frosted Face


I am prone to robbery
So one part of this wit likes to think
No I have never participated in the felonious arts
But I am prone to it.
I cannot pass a bank without consideration
Of vaults, and cash drawers, and frightened customers
I think thoughts of a robbing hood
When I pass the cash stores, creators of victims
Fellow thieves who have legally participated in that I fear to try
And when I pass near a Seven-Eleven
Well
I fair itch
So here I sit in this bakery
Eating my baklava while wearing my balaclava
Staring past the facsimile idols of Greek gods
Past beyond the frosty panes to across the street
Planning a perfect crime
And I spring to action
Pulling down my balaclava
Zipping my parka
And taking the last of my baklava
I march with the confidence of the driven
Through the doors...

A cheery greeting in an Abu accent
"Welcome dear sir"
To the counter
"Dear sir, if I may
You have baklava on your balaclava"

Stupefied,
Mortified, I fled
Running into the frigid night
Breath weighing heavily upon my mask
Layers of hoar upon hoar
And stop 
To stare at the shop front reflection of this fool
A frosted flake of a man
Not a robber
A lover
Of backlava

No comments: